How does the WAO web site (www.worldallergy.org) support WAO's mission of advancing excellence in clinical care through education, research and training for optimal patient care? It does so by being a resource that:
- Functions as the repository of all WAO programs and activities, and their enduring materials
- Provides free access to learning and teaching materials, continuing medical education, clinical sources, and research
- Makes available information pertinent to the specialty and profession of allergy, asthma and clinical immunology
- Acts as a networking and outreach vehicle
What can you expect to find on www.worldallergy.org?
1. A comprehensive collection of WAO educational materials on current issues in Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology for practitioners, researchers, educators and trainees, which is continually updated and provides:
- Interactive Learning! Teaching Case Reports
- Practical Learning! Clinical Allergy Tips & Test your Allergy IQ
- Mobile Learning-Podcasts & Webinars! WAO Conversations with Experts, Recordings of online live lectures & CME modules
- Up-to-date Learning-Hot topics! Allergic Diseases Resource Center: Educational Synopses on a wide range of subjects
- Standards of Practice! WAO Position Papers
- Literature Reviews! Each month WAO web editors review major allergy journals and summarize key papers. The top reviews are published in the WAO News and Notes e-letter and archived at www.WorldAllergy.org. Practitioners review professional medical books relevant to the field of allergy, asthma and clinical immunology. The reviews are featured in the WAO News and Notes e-letter and archived at www.worldallergy.org.
2. Resources for the Specialty & Profession
Worldwide Allergy Meetings: A continually updated listing of Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology Congresses around the world, as well as information about upcoming World Allergy Congresses (WAC) and WAO International Scientific Conferences.
Global Allergy Web Links: A comprehensive list of allergy-related web links for patients and health professionals provides a wide variety of topics to research.
Research and Training Resources: Position papers, global training links, a list of national allergy certification / accreditation / training requirements and more to assist members in the pursuit of excellence in the field of allergy, asthma and clinical immunology.
WAO News & Notes: Every month, the WAO distributes and posts e-letters with live links that highlight upcoming professional events and new online content, announce the latest articles in the WAO Journal, and deliver insightful reviews of the literature.
World Allergy Organization Journal (WAO Journal): Offers the latest developments in Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. Individual members of current WAO Member Societies receive free access to the WAO Journal.
3. Specialty Sub-sites
Small Airways Diseases Working Group (http://www.worldallergy.org/small_airways_group/)
- Activities, stay updated on upcoming talks by Small Airways members
- Steering Committee Members
- Scientific Literature on Small Airways, now searchable, and a form for submitting references to add to the list
- Educational Resources, links to related resources on the WAO website
Special Committees (http://www.worldallergy.org/wao_societies/ committeesandcouncils.php#scientific)
- Allergy Diagnosis
- Drug Allergy
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Food Allergy
4. Allergic Diseases Resource Center: provides clear information about allergic diseases and up-to-the-minute news of developments in allergy management and treatment, written by the world's leading allergy experts.
5. Reviews and News (http://www.worldallergy.org/reviews.php)
- New at-a-glance design
- Searchable - Search all of the WAO medical book reviews, summaries of journal articles, and WAO News & Notes
6. Clinical Allergy Tips (http://www.worldallergy.org/clinical_allergy_tips/)
Clinician-to-Clinician: Find practical tips on a variety of topics for the clinician
7. Interactive Case Reports (http://www.worldallergy.org/interactive_case_reviews/)
These give you the chance to test your knowledge and make a diagnosis on an unusual case history. The case study is pictorially presented, along with questions and possible diagnoses. Once you select your diagnosis, you immediately learn whether or not your diagnosis corresponds to that of the experts who posted the case, and are able to read the rationale for the diagnosis and suggested treatment provided by the expert. Several new cases this year.
8. WAO Publications (http://www.worldallergy.org/publications/)
Includes links to abstracts and to full text when available
9. Online Learning and CME Programs
These self-directed programs are used by both practitioners and trainees
10. WAO Scientific Meetings
WAO International Scientific Conference
2010 in Dubai (http://www.worldallergy.org/2010dubai/). See you there!
World Allergy Congress
2011 in Cancun (http://www.worldallergy.org/wac2011/) And see you there!