Junior Member News - December 2015
The WAO Junior Members Group: Great Future Ahead!
The WAO JMG was started just 5 years ago, and with the unwavering support of WAO staff, it has achieved a lot. We have been growing in membership and have put in practice a multitude of ideas and projects, following the WAO mission of being a global resource in the field of allergy and clinical immunology to advance excellence in clinical care through education, research and training as a worldwide alliance of allergy and clinical immunology societies.
Since the founding of group in 2010, chaired by Silvia Sanchez-Garcia and Matteo Bonini, we have carried out several initiatives to strengthen the WAO JMG by increasing its visibility and involvement in the WAO scientific meetings and scholarly activities. Here are some of milestones during the current term:
- The WAO JMG logo was commissioned, approved and officially launched http://www.worldallergy.org/juniormembers/
- For the first time, the WAO JM Practical Courses were launched and met with great acclaim during the WAO annual meetings in 2014 and 2015:
- WAO JM Symposium was continued with well-received WAO JM reception
- Multiple publications, including journal articles, WAO guidelines, WAO monograph on immunotherapy, monthly review of What is New in Small Airways and monthly WAO JM News & Notes:
- Continuous growth of the WAOJM Facebook page:
- @WAOJM Twitter account:
- WAO TV, which contains with interviews with the world’s top allergy/immunology experts:
- Participation in the WAO Scientific Committees and guidelines authorship
- Research projects involvement including projects led by the WAO JM, such as the Skin Patch Test survey submitted to the WAO Journal
- Collaboration with different Allergy and Immunology societies, exemplified by projects, such as the EAACI-AAAAI-WAO Junior Members Survey
Our growing WAO JM family now consists of more than 750 members, which are represented by the WAO Junior Member Steering Group*. The path to the future looks bright, guided by the core philosophy of excellence, passion and inspiration. None of these multiple activities would be possible without trust; the trust in our friends and colleagues, in our scientific expertise and professional skills; and trust that we can change things for the better. The WAO JM steering group is honored to work with and for you!
In addition to achieving the goals set by the WAO JM and the broader WAO organization, we are gaining experience and improving understanding in how we can support the Allergy and Clinical Immunology specialty worldwide. A coordinated continuous strategy to ensure the involvement of JM in the many WAO activities is paramount. We will continue to align WAO JM actions with the Allergy/Immunology societies around the world, thus creating a platform to increase the visibility of our specialty by strengthening the quality of patient care, scientific evidence and education. We are proud to say that the WAO Junior Members Group is not just the future, but is also the present of the World Allergy Organization!
We would like to thank all the members of the WAO JM Steering Group for your support, amazing energy and inspiring passion! We hope keep working with you all in the future.
Finally, we would like to wish you all a Happy Holidays and a happy and successful New Year, full of achievements and good news!
All the best,
Luciana Kase Tanno, MD PhD
WAO Junior Members Chair
Ves Dimov, MD
WAO Junior Members Co-chair
* WAO Junior Members Steering Group: Luciana Kase Tanno, Ves Dimov, Silvia Sanchez-Garcia, Matteo Bonini, Dario Antolin-Amerigo, Virginia Bellido-Linares, Juan Carlos Aldave, Mariana Couto, Razvigor Darlenki, Pavel Kolkhir, Hongfei Lous, Andrea Vereda Ortiz, Leonor Villa, Marco Caminati, Yuan Zhang, Ming Zheng