A WAO Center of Excellence is identified as a multidisciplinary group, based in an academic institution, encompassing three or more subspecialties/organ systems, with the following components:
- The WCOE should have a clear mission in line with WAO’s mission with the purpose and aims for advancing allergy, asthma and clinical immunology as a multidisciplinary field.
- The WCOE should have a well established organization with good governance and infrastructure and recognized mentors in allergy, asthma and clinical immunology
- The WCOE should have a well established research department and have published manuscripts in peer reviewed journals.
- The WCOE should have diverse faculty representing three or more clinical specialties who will form the executive or selection committee locally
- A letter of support from the member society and as needed the Dean’s office or equivalent administrative office
- A sponsorship letter from at least one WAO External Advisor
** WAO External Advisors listed in application form
A WAO Center of Excellence should be proficient in the following areas:
- Research: Specified areas in basic and clinical research, with goals for multidisciplinary activities
- Clinical Aspects: Should have recognized programs engaged in allergy, asthma and clinical immunology, and proposed goals for multidisciplinary activity and clinical innovation. Should be able to participate in national, patient registry
- Education and Training: Present a clearly articulated recognized education/training program serving the mission of WAO
- Networking/ Advocacy: Potential advocacy activities (i.e., programming, education) with patients, patient groups, lay community, and government
The benefits of becoming a WAO Centers of Excellence include:
- Providing scientific support in the development and dissemination of global educational resources
- Providing mentorship for research and training for WAO Junior Members (societies can be involved in recommending Junior Members)
- Collaboration opportunities through lectureships and research fellowships with other WCOEs to further education and research
- Conducting educational programs in collaboration with WAO, including Webinars
- Collaborating in Primary Care Physician programs of WAO
Application deadline is 30 September 2015.
WAO Centers of Excellence Selection Committee Members
|Lanny Rosenwasser||Mario Sanchez Borges|
|Francesca Levi-Schaffer||G. Walter Canonica|