Asthma Center, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli - IRCCS (Rome, Italy)
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli – IRCCS
The Catholic University of the Sacred Heart (UCSC) is an Italian academic institution founded in 1921. UCSC is the largest private university in Europe and the largest Catholic university in the world. UCSC provides undergraduate and graduate courses, as well as PhD programs. In addition, the university runs several double degree programs, both in Italian and in English, in collaboration with several academic institutions throughout the world.
The campus based in Rome opened in 1961 and provides optimal synergy between education, research and healthcare. The campus is home of the Faculty of “Medicine and Surgery” and takes advantage of the close link with “Policlinico Agostino Gemelli” which serves as the teaching hospital for the Medical School. The Faculty of Medicine at UCSC has been listed among the best Italian and European universities in the of pre-clinical and clinical area by the “2020 World University Ranking”. Furthermore, Policlinico A. Gemelli, a scientific institute for healthcare (IRCCS), has been ranked the best Italian hospital and included among the top 40 hospitals globally by Neewsweek in 2022. The Faculty of Medicine includes Clinical Fellowship Programs in both Respiratory Medicine and Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
The Asthma Center is directed and coordinated by Matteo Bonini, Professor in Respiratory Medicine and current active member of the WAO after having been Chair of the “Sports Allergy Committee” and, previously, of the “Junior Member Group”.
The Asthma Center aims at achieving optimal diagnosis and management of asthma and related comorbidities through Precision Medicine (i.e. biomarkers, pheno- endotyping) and innovative (i.e. electronic health, -omics) approaches. The Center represents a hub of reference and excellence at a national basis and provides educational programs for PhD students, in-training clinical fellows and undergraduates. High-quality facilities, including a centralized biobank, and experienced research staff allow to competently run both sponsored clinical trials and independent translational/clinical research studies. With the goal to provide patients with a comprehensive and multidisciplinary management the Asthma Center closely collaborates, within the institution, with the following clinical specialties: Allergy, ENT, Cardiology, Radiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology.
The Center also benefits from several national and international partnerships with academic institutions of excellence. Moreover, the Center is actively involved in the following national and international asthma networks: International Severe Asthma Registry (ISAR), Severe Asthma Research Program (SARP), Severe Asthma Network Italy (SANI), Mild-Moderate Asthma Network Italy (MANI). The Center closely interacts, at last, with national and international asthma patient organizations (i.e. Federasma, Alama, AsthmaUK, EFA) and regularly organizes/supports events for increasing awareness of asthma
- Application Process
- Africa, Middle East and CIS
- Asia Pacific
- CK-CARE: Alpine Allergy Campus (Davos, Switzerland)
- Center for Basic and Clinical Immunology (Naples, Italy)
- Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals (London, United Kingdom)
- Medical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland)
- São João Hospital Center Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department
- Southampton Allergy Centre (Southampton, England)
- The Center for Allergy, Immunology and Pediatric Pneumology at Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico (Milan, Italy)
- Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
- UCLouvain Allergy Center (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Center, Hospital Dona Estefânia (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Allergy Research Centre Antwerp University Hospital (ARCUZA) (Edegem, Belgium)
- The Centre for Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology (AACI) (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- The Academic Center of Allergic Diseases, Erasmus MC (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University (VGMU) (Vitebsk, Belarus)
- Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Asthma Center, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli - IRCCS (Rome, Italy)
- Clínica Universidad de Navarra (Pamplona, Spain)
- Imperial College London/Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust (London, England)
- Allergy Center Hessen (Marburg, Germany)
- Latin America
- North America