Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal)
Serviço de Imunoalergologia, Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Lisboa Norte, Centro Académico de Medicina de Lisboa
History and Mission
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department from Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Lisboa Norte has played a structuring role in the history of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in Portugal. It was in our Hospital that the first Portuguese Respiratory Allergy Clinic was founded by Professor Antero da Palma-Carlos in 1961. Later on, in 1965, the first national Allergy and Clinical Immunology Unit was also created in our Hospital. The first specialty internship programme started in 1987 in Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Lisboa Norte. Our missions is to give all patients a high quality assistance, with accessibility and differentiation in care delivery. All healthcare professionals defend the highest ethical and scientific patterns and are concerned in creating a humanized environment to all patients.
Our daily activity is divided in Allergy Clinics, Allergy Day Hospital and Emergency assistance. We have 9 specialized Outpatients Clinics: Food allergy, Pediatric Food Allergy, Drug Allergy, Pediatric Drug allergy, Allergy in pregnancy, Severe asthma, Severe eczema, Severe chronic Urticaria, Hereditary Angioedema, Nasal polyposis, Insect allergy and General Immunoallergology clinics. We have a dedicated allergen immunotherapy unit. We have a specialized and multidisciplinary unit of Primary Immunodeficiency (PID). This unit is focused in providing an early diagnosis and improving access to differentiated care to PID patients. A coordinated partnership with Clinical Immunology Laboratory of Lisbon School of Medicine (Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa) is essential for the detailed immunological evaluation of these patients. The Allergy and Clinical Immunology Day Care Unit was created in In March 2000. This Day Care Unit is dedicated to several specialized procedures such as Drug and Food challenges, Hymenoptera Venom Immunotherapy, Intravenous immunoglobulin administration in PID patients and also biologic therapy administration for severe asthma, severe eczema and severe urticaria. We have a wide experience in antineoplastic and chemotherapy agents’ desensitization. Using different desensitization protocol and a patient centered approach, we are dedicated in allowing sensitized patients to maintain their first-class therapy line, through desensitization protocols. In our Department, we have more than 15- years’ experience in ultra-rush induction protocols (210-minutes) in Hymenoptera venom Immunotherapy.
Education and Training
The post-graduation is one the main objective of our Department. Every year, we receive two new candidates that want to complete their 5-year internship programme in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Besides this, interns from other areas, such as Pulmonology, General Practitioners, and Clinical Pathology also visit our Department as Clinical fellows for a 1 to 3 months fellowship. We also receive clinical fellow from other European countries. We have weekly focused meetings to discuss allergy and clinical immunology topics, clinical protocols, recommendations and research projects. Our department cooperates with Lisbon School of Medicine (Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa) and several of its member are members of the teaching staff of this Medical School. We regularly cooperate in several disciplines of Medicine course and in the Clinical Immunology optional class.
Research and Networking
Our Service comprises 3 PhDs from the Lisbon School of Medicine (Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa), including the Regent of the Immunoallergology University Clinic. The Laboratory of Clinical Immunology at FMUL/IMM cooperates with the scientific research in the field of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department from Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Lisboa Norte is a certified GA²LEN UCARE (Global Allergy and Asthma European Network - Urticaria Center of Reference and Excellence) center. We are included in the RITA reference centers network, the European Reference Network that is aimed to improving the care of patients with Rare Immunological Disorders.
We are very glad to be a WAO Center of Excellence since 2019.
- Application Process
- Africa, Middle East and CIS
- Asia Pacific
- CK-CARE: Alpine Allergy Campus (Davos, Switzerland)
- Center for Basic and Clinical Immunology (Naples, Italy)
- Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals (London, United Kingdom)
- Medical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland)
- São João Hospital Center Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department
- Southampton Allergy Centre (Southampton, England)
- The Center for Allergy, Immunology and Pediatric Pneumology at Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico (Milan, Italy)
- Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
- UCLouvain Allergy Center (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Center, Hospital Dona Estefânia (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Allergy Research Centre Antwerp University Hospital (ARCUZA) (Edegem, Belgium)
- The Centre for Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology (AACI) (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- The Academic Center of Allergic Diseases, Erasmus MC (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University (VGMU) (Vitebsk, Belarus)
- Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Asthma Center, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli - IRCCS (Rome, Italy)
- Clínica Universidad de Navarra (Pamplona, Spain)
- Imperial College London/Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust (London, England)
- Allergy Center Hessen (Marburg, Germany)
- Latin America
- North America