Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron (Barcelona, Spain)
Vall d'Hebron University Hospital
Our mission is to take care of people with allergic diseases and improve their quality of life, in accordance with their needs and, also, their decisions.
Vall d'Hebron University Hospital is the largest in Catalonia and one of the largest in Spain. It has a team of 7,100 professionals. Its area of influence includes a population of more than 430,000 inhabitants. The Hospital offers the necessary human infrastructures and equipment to cover all medical and surgical specialties.
Vall d'Hebron University Hospital has a leading environment in health care, teaching and research. With more than 1,100 beds, it delivers a management model that places the patient as the center of our actions.
The Vall d’Hebron Research Institute (VHIR) is a public sector institution that promotes and develops biomedical research, innovation and teaching at Vall d'Hebron University Hospital (HUVH). In more than 20 years VHIR has achieved leadership in biomedical, clinical and translational research. Over 1,300 people are working at the VHIR, of which over 1,200 are in research projects and around 100 give logistic support or transfer results to society in the form of projects, technology transfer and innovation, communication or fundraising, among others.
The Allergology Section was initiated in the 70's, within the natural framework of the Internal Medicine Service, simultaneously with the generation of the Pediatric Allergy Unit. In the 80’s, joining the resources of both units, it officially became a Training Center for specialization in Allergology.
Currrently, the adult Allergy Section has 5 statutory specialists:
- Victoria Cardona, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology, Head of Section
- Mar Guilarte, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology
- Moises Labrador, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology and Immunology
- Olga Luengo, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology
- Anna Sala MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology
The Pediatric Allergy Unit has 3 specialists:
- Cristina Blasco, MD, specialist in Pediatrics, Coordinator
- Blanca Vila, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology and Pediatrics
- Teresa Garriga, MD, PhD, specialist in Allergology
The portfolio of services provided by these two units includes the management of all allergic conditions: respiratory allergy (allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, asthma), food allergy, drug allergy and skin allergy (atopic eczema, contact dermatitis, urticaria). The allergic patient is assessed in a comprehensive manner, allowing a better overview of potential causative agents and treatment options. It is a reference center for diseases such as Hereditary Angioedema and Mastocytosis.
The Allergy Research group is part of the VHIR. It is working in several research lines such as molecular allergy and anaphylaxis biomarkers. It also participates in Clinical Trials promoted by pharmaceutical companies and studies initiated by scientific societies or research networks.
As a national training center in Allergology, it has three accredited posts for residents; the number of posts which are offered yearly may vary according to needs. The training is four years long, and covers both general and pediatric allergy.
Our mission is to take care of people with allergic diseases and improve their quality of life, in accordance with their needs and, also, their decisions. For this, we do our best to excel in all our activities: assistance, teaching, research and advocacy.
- Application Process
- Africa, Middle East and CIS
- Asia Pacific
- CK-CARE: Alpine Allergy Campus (Davos, Switzerland)
- Center for Basic and Clinical Immunology (Naples, Italy)
- Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals (London, United Kingdom)
- Medical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland)
- São João Hospital Center Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department
- Southampton Allergy Centre (Southampton, England)
- The Center for Allergy, Immunology and Pediatric Pneumology at Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico (Milan, Italy)
- Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
- UCLouvain Allergy Center (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Center, Hospital Dona Estefânia (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Allergy Research Centre Antwerp University Hospital (ARCUZA) (Edegem, Belgium)
- The Centre for Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology (AACI) (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- The Academic Center of Allergic Diseases, Erasmus MC (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University (VGMU) (Vitebsk, Belarus)
- Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Asthma Center, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli - IRCCS (Rome, Italy)
- Clínica Universidad de Navarra (Pamplona, Spain)
- Imperial College London/Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust (London, England)
- Allergy Center Hessen (Marburg, Germany)
- National Kapodistrian University of Athens (Athens, Greece)
- Latin America
- North America