Imperial College London/Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust (London, England)
Imperial Allergy Team - Imperial College London
The Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (ICHT) is the UK’s first Academic Health Sciences Centre with a mission to bring the benefits of world-class healthcare to patients locally and to make available the latest treatments. It is the largest hospital Trust in the UK and is consistently rated in the top 5 Dr. Foster Good Hospitals guide.
The Paediatric Allergy & Immunology Service at ICHT is one of the leading specialist centres in the UK. Our highly specialized multidisciplinary team provides tertiary level care to over 5500 children per year. The team includes NHS Consultants, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Dietitians, Speech and Language and Psychology services. It has expertise in treating complex, severe multi-system allergic disease with a holistic, multidisciplinary team approach, which emphasizes education and empowerment of patients and parents/caretakers including throughout adolescence.
Strong multidisciplinary links with shared care exist with the Paediatric Gastroenterologists at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, the severe asthma team at the Royal Brompton Hospital, adult services for adolescent transition and services from other divisions’ including Dermatology, Accident and Emergency, Respiratory, ENT, Ophthalmology, Infectious Diseases and Radiology. The service is the lead within the North West London Allergy Network and provides integrated care across primary, secondary and tertiary care.
The clinical service is closely aligned to the Academic National Heart and Lung Institute (NHLI) and the Centre for Paediatrics and Child Health with an active research and education programme.
The intellectual and institutional origins of allergy as a clinical and scientific discipline lie in what is today the NHLI and Imperial College London (ICL). This includes world-renowned figures such as Drs. John Freeman and Leonard Noon, Dr. Bill Frankland and Prof Barry Kay.
Currently, NHLI and ICL host world-beating research, ranking number 2 in the world for allergy research in the Center for World University Rankings. The programme focuses upon the origins, natural history and mechanisms of allergic diseases and asthma across the life-course, with an emphasis on prevention and translation for patient benefit. Our work aims to understand the heterogeneity of asthma and allergic disorders and facilitate the provision of personalized, mechanism-based treatments and prevention strategies. It includes clinical research, dry lab and basic mechanistic research. Our research findings to date have been of great practical significance and have informed and changed national and international guidelines on prevention and management of allergic diseases and asthma in children and adults.
Within the Academic Health Sciences System, we actively and enthusiastically participate in allergy education. This includes a wide portfolio, ranging from undergraduate to postgraduate as well as clinical training.
We are one of the few nationally accredited training centres for specialist training in Paediatric Allergy and for training in Paediatric Allergy as a ‘special interest’ area within Paediatrics.
Imperial College London offers a reputated Postgraduate (PG) Programme in Allergy, including PG Certificate, PG Diploma and MSc, as well as short courses. We currently have 53 students, and 38 students have graduated in the last 3 years. The course includes 8 core modules over 2 years covering the scientific and immunological basis of allergy, as well as the whole spectrum of allergic diseases across all ages. For their MSc Thesis, students conduct original research in Allergy under the supervision of our Imperial faculty.
- Prof. Adnan Custovic: Professor of Paediatric Allergy
- Dr. Robert Boyle: Reader in Paediatric Allergy
- Dr. Mohamed Shamji: Reader in Immunology & Allergy
- Dr. Paul Turner: Reader in Paediatric Allergy & Clinical Immunology
- Dr. Claudia Gore: Consultant in Paediatric Allergy; Lead Adolescent services
- Dr. Marta Vazquez Ortiz: Consultant in Paediatric Allergy; Director of Allergy Postgraduate Programme
- Dr. Leanne Goh: Consultant in Paediatric Allergy; Clinical Lead
- Application Process
- Africa, Middle East and CIS
- Asia Pacific
- CK-CARE: Alpine Allergy Campus (Davos, Switzerland)
- Center for Basic and Clinical Immunology (Naples, Italy)
- Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals (London, United Kingdom)
- Medical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland)
- São João Hospital Center Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department
- Southampton Allergy Centre (Southampton, England)
- The Center for Allergy, Immunology and Pediatric Pneumology at Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico (Milan, Italy)
- Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
- UCLouvain Allergy Center (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Center, Hospital Dona Estefânia (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Allergy Research Centre Antwerp University Hospital (ARCUZA) (Edegem, Belgium)
- The Centre for Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology (AACI) (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- The Academic Center of Allergic Diseases, Erasmus MC (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University (VGMU) (Vitebsk, Belarus)
- Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Asthma Center, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli - IRCCS (Rome, Italy)
- Clínica Universidad de Navarra (Pamplona, Spain)
- Imperial College London/Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust (London, England)
- Allergy Center Hessen (Marburg, Germany)
- Latin America
- North America