Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
The state-run public Bichat hospital, (http://hopital-bichat.aphp.fr/) is part of the public hospitals of Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP). The Allergology Center takes advantage of several clinical units and an immunology laboratory dedicated to the diagnosis of allergy. Research labs are located inside the hospital or in the outskirts of Paris.
1) Clinical units
- The allergology out-patient clinic (headed by Dr Catherine Neukirch). Consultations and day-hospital stays are dedicated in particular to diagnosis, drug and food challenges, hymenoptera venom immunotherapy, aspirin desensitization.
- The Severe Asthma Center (headed by Prof Camille Taillé) is part of the Rare Respiratory Diseases Reference Center (headed by Prof Bruno Crestani) and belongs to the French severe asthma network CRISALIS. Adolescents and adults are referred for difficult-to-treat asthma. Dedicated programs for outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation and education were developed. The center is strongly involved in clinical trials and is the French leader in bronchial thermoplasty.
- The Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care (headed by Prof P Montravers, Prof Dan Longrois and Dr. Aurélie Gouel-Chéron) has a long experience with perioperative neuromuscular blocking agent (NMBA) anaphylactic shock management. A close collaboration with Center members allows testing all suspected drugs in the perioperative period (NMBA, latex, antibiotics, antiseptics, iodinated contrast media …).
- The Department of Dermatology (headed by Prof Vincent Descamps) is involved in managing severe atopic dermatitis and urticarial and is particularly referent in delayed drug adverse reactions (DRESS).
- The Department of Ocular Diseases (headed by Dr Serge Doan and Prof Eric Gabison) is a referral center for severe ocular allergies, especially vernal and atopic keratoconjunctivitis. Ocular tests (tear IgE and electrophoresis, conjunctival impression cytology) are routinely performed.
2) Diagnostic immunology laboratory
This laboratory (headed by Prof Sylvie Chollet-Martin and Dr Pascale Nicaise-Roland) is dedicated to the biological diagnosis of all types of allergies and is recognized as “Laboratoire de Biologie Médicale de Référence en Allergie” by the French Health Ministry. The following analyses are available in routine daily
practice: specific IgE and IgG (singleplex or multiplex), histamine, tryptase, basophil and T cell activation tests. Biomarkers identified in research studies are regularly translated to this laboratory.
3) Associated research laboratories
- INSERM UMR1152 (head: Dr. Marina Pretolani). Team 1 (Dr Pretolani, Prof Taillé, Dr Létuvé) studies the mechanisms leading to airway inflammation and remodeling in severe atopic and non-atopic asthma, using translational approaches, on human bronchial biopsies and on primary cultured airway epithelial and smooth muscle cells.
- INSERM UMR996 (head: Dr. Françoise Bachelerie). Team 2 is involved in understanding anaphylaxis (both sensitization and effector phases) (Prof Sylvie Chollet-Martin; Dr Luc de Chaisemartin), drug allergies (Prof Marc Pallardy) and contact hypersensitivity (Prof Saadia Kerdine-Römer). http://umr996.inserm.fr/
- INSERM U1222 (head: Dr. Pierre Bruhns, Dr Friederike Jönsson) develops innovative tools for understanding severe allergies: humanized mouse models, single cell assays, human monoclonal antibody production and myeloid cells, B cells and platelets analysis. https://research.pasteur.fr/en/team/antibodies-in-therapy-and-pathology/.
In the last 3 years, the Center members have been authors on more than 90 scientific papers dedicated to allergy or asthma, in outstanding peer-reviewed journals (eg. Sci Transl Med, Nat Comm, Am J Respir Crit Care Med, J Allergy Clin Immunol, Eur Respir J, Nat immunol, Allergy). These studies have also been shared in the most relevant national and international allergy scientific meetings.
The Center has developed several programs of education and training on asthma and allergology in the medical school of Paris University, the Pharmacy school of Paris-Saclay University and at Institut Pasteur. These programs include: resident training, Master 1 and Master 2 education, supervision of PhD and post-doctoral students, continuing education and patients programs.
- Application Process
- Africa, Middle East and CIS
- Asia Pacific
- Alpine Allergy Campus (Davos, Switzerland)
- Center for Basic and Clinical Immunology (Naples, Italy)
- Guy’s & St. Thomas’ Hospitals (London, United Kingdom)
- Medical University of Lodz (Lodz, Poland)
- São João Hospital Center Allergy and Clinical Immunology Department
- Southampton Allergy Centre (Southampton, England)
- The Center for Allergy, Immunology and Pediatric Pneumology at Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico (Milan, Italy)
- Bichat Hospital Allergology Center (Paris, France)
- UCLouvain Allergy Center (Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Center, Hospital Dona Estefânia (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Allergy Research Centre Antwerp University Hospital (ARCUZA) (Edegem, Belgium)
- The Centre for Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology (AACI) (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- The Academic Center of Allergic Diseases, Erasmus MC (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Vitebsk State Order of Peoples’ Friendship Medical University (VGMU) (Vitebsk, Belarus)
- Latin America
- North America