WISC 2014 Welcomes Delegates from 61 Countries!
Lanny J. Rosenwasser, WAO President, Flávia Sales Costa Janólio, ASBAI Congress President, and Fabio Fernandes Morato Castro, ASBAI President
WAO Board of Directors
Dr. Lanny J. Rossenwasser, MD - President, World Allergy Organization
From 6-9 December 2014, in Rio de Janeiro, 2312 participants from 61countries came together for the 3rd World Allergy Organization (WAO) International Scientific Conference (WISC 2014) and the XLI Annual Congress of the Brazilian Association of Allergy and Immunology (ASBAI).
Dr. Lanny Rosenwasser, President of the World Allergy Organization, said, “On behalf of WAO, I want to thank the 163 speakers who took the time and effort to attend the conference and stimulate meaningful dialog and discussion throughout the program. Our appreciation also goes to our sponsors for their generous support which makes a conference of this magnitude possible, and our heartfelt thanks go to the delegates and the beautiful city of Rio de Janeiro.” Dr. Rosenwasser further said, “I would also like to express my appreciation to all of the individuals on the WISC Steering Committee, Local Organizing Committee, Scientific Program Committee, and Conference Organizing Committee (http://www.worldallergy.org/wisc2014/committees/) for all of their hard work to make WISC 2014 such a success.”
Highlights from the Conference included:
- Opening Ceremony with guest speaker Carlos Enaldo de Araujo Pacheco, Counselor of Regional Council of Medicine of the State of Rio de Janeiro (CREMERJ)
- 3 Keynote Lectures by Lanny Rosenwasser, Jorge Kalil, and John Cambier
- 6 Plenary Sessions including:
- Immunotherapy and Immunological Aspects of Allergic Disease
- Clinical Aspects of Sublingual Immunotherapy and Subcutaneous Immunotherapy
- Innate Immunity in Allergy: Sentinel role of the Epithelium and Microbiome
- Biologics and Novel Treatments for Allergic Disease
- The Evolving World of Food Allergy
- Food Allergy 2014 and into the Future
- 27 Symposia
- 23 Postgraduate Sessions
- 12 Junior Member Practical Courses
- 27 travel grant awards to WAO Junior Members
- 348 abstracts displayed in Poster Sessions; 25 of those received an Outstanding Abstract Award. The award winners were:
The theme of the conference was: Advancing the borders of allergy: From treatment to prevention by targeting the environment, infections, and the susceptible patient. “The WISC 2014 program was outstanding.” Dr. Rosenwasser said, “It allowed clinical and scientific experts to present on a wide range of topics that reflect the clinical challenges we are facing from increased allergic disease, and also the new ways to address it through integrated diagnostic, management, and prevention approaches. This kind of information exchange is needed to help expand the knowledge and practice of allergy.”
The WAO Leaders and Conference Organizers thank you again for your participation and hope that you enjoyed your time in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Claim your CME and Certificate of Attendance
Through your participation in the meeting you are eligible to receive a maximum of 23 hours of European external CME credits. Each medical specialist should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.
In order to claim your credits please click here
You will need your badge ID to complete the process. If you do not have your ID, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.